Best knife for trimming brisket will help you do the work smoothly without any struggle. Brisket is always known to be one of the most delicious cuts of meat as it turns nearly every dish into a masterpiece. However, it always takes time to trim and prepare a perfect brisket without the help of the right tool. If you’re also facing the same difficulty, let’s look at some of the most recommended knives exclusively made for trimming brisket.
Table of Contents
- Which knife should be considered the best knife for trimming brisket?
- Top 5 Best knives for trimming brisket hand-picked by professionals
- FAQs about the best knife for trimming brisket
Which knife should be considered the best knife for trimming brisket?
Trimming briskets is different from cutting or slicing meat, as it requires slicing from various angles. Unlike the heavy and thick chef’s knives, knives for trimming briskets need to be more flexible and lightweight.
Moreover, this knife also has to reach a certain degree of sharpness and durability. Thus, you should go for knives made of high quality stainless steel. All things considered, the most appropriate knife to trim briskets is undoubtedly a boning knife.
Why so? The boning knife always comes with a less thick blade than chef’s knives or butcher’s knives. The knife is lighter in weight. This, combined with a narrow blade, makes it way simpler to make precise cuts
Top 5 Best knives for trimming brisket hand-picked by professionals
Wüsthof Slicer Roast Knife
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – 10" Super Slicer with full tang triple riveted synthetic polypropylene handles that...
- PRECISION FORGED – WÜSTHOF's Classic Series Knives are forged from a single block of High Carbon Stainless Steel...
- ROAST KNIFE - 10" Super Slicer is a long slender blade with a rounded tip. The blade is longer than many other...
Wüsthof is one of the most famous brands in the knife making industry that Chef Gordon Ramsay prefers. The 10-inch blade of this Wüsthof Slicer Roast Knife is forged from tempered high-carbon stainless steel.
The blade is made to belong and narrow with a small curvature. This design is perfect for deboning pig, poultry, fillet fish and trim briskets. Moreover, extra sharpness is added to the knife’s edge thanks to Wüsthof’s PET grinding technique.
This Wüsthof knife also has a bolster that protects the users’ hands while processing fat and oily skin. The handle uses Polyoxymethylene plastic with 3 rivets to add extra strength.
Arcos Riviera Blanc Series
- Arcos Riviera 8 inch white handle forged chef knife specially designed for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing...
- State-of-the-art made blade ensures high cutting power ( over 100 mm ) and long edge retention (over 350 mm)
- Made of hardened and tempered forged NITRUM stainless steel
This Riviera Series is one of the most popular products from Arcos – a European knife manufacturer. It’s a classy cutting tool that comes with great features. The blade is made from forged NITRUM stainless steel, which makes trimming briskets or cutting very thin slices of ham a breeze.
Thanks to its classic French design, the knife is flawlessly handcrafted and stands out. The handle is bent smoothly, giving a comfortable yet secure grip.
Dexter Narrow Boning Knife
- Sani-Safe 8-inch Scalloped Offset Sandwich Knife is perfect for slicing sandwiches, bread and rolls; proudly made...
- Proprietary DEXSTEEL high-carbon steel and BPA-free polypropylene; withstands high to low temperatures - built to...
- Textured, slip-resistant handle with safety guard is hermetically sealed for safe use with no cross contamination;...
If you’re searching for the best knife to create a flawless brisket, this Dexter boning knife is a top contender. The high-carbon steel blade is curved at the perfect angle, allowing you to trim the extra fat while maintaining the meat layer of briskets. With this 6-inch blade, users can trim a wide range of meat cuts, from small to larger ones.
The knife also has a unique handle with a Grip-Text design, allowing you to operate it more easily. It gives a soft feel and can be used for hours without causing hand fatigue. Nevertheless, you should hand clean the knife instead of putting it in the dishwasher to maintain its longevity.
DALSTRONG Japanese Phantom Knife
- Powerhouse Knife. Masterfully elegant, perfectly balanced, razor sharp and with exceptional performance, the...
- Peak Performance: Mercilessly sharp, the Phantom Series edge is painstakingly honed by experts craftsman to 13-15°...
- The Dalstrong Touch: Full tang and precision forged from a single piece of ice tempered, high-carbon, Japanese...
For those who are hardcore fans of Japanese knives, this Dalstrong Phantom Knife is considered not to be missed. It features a 6.5-inch high-carbon steel blade, with highly appreciated strength, sharpness, and durability.
The blade is made of premium-quality Japanese steel – a material known to be sharp and wear-resistant for a decent time. Being 0.5 inches longer makes the blade a great choice to remove large pieces of fat.
The overall design of this knife is beautiful and effective, making it the best knife for trimming brisket. The knife is NSF Certified, and it offers users great grip and power. Still, many buyers prefer the standard sheath design over the “clam-shell” sheath that this Dalstrong knife uses.
Mercer Culinary Boning Knife
This Mercer boning knife boasts a 6-inch blade made of German high-carbon steel. The forged steel blade stays sharp and durable for a long time throughout use. The presence of a slight bolster makes the knife easier to handle, especially for beginners or average chefs.
Moreover, the knife also comes with a lifetime warranty and NSF Certification. These are the important quality statements, along with positive reviews from the end-users. Overall, this boning knife is of high quality, considering the material, design and affordable price.
Nevertheless, it’s not quite suitable for heavy use, and the blade can wear fast if you sharpen the knife often.
FAQs about the best knife for trimming brisket
What’s Aaron Franklin’s favourite knife for trimming brisket?
Aaron Franklin prefers the 12″ Dexter Scalloped Roast Slicer Knife when trimming briskets. This is a cooking tip that the chef shared in his book called Franklin Barbecue.
Are serrated knives suitable for cutting brisket?
If the serrated knife you’re using has a razor-sharp edge, it’ll be a perfect cutting tool to slice brisket. The serrated knives come with large teeth, making it easier to cut through the meat.
Is it necessary to remove all the fat from the brisket?
It’s not mandatory to remove the whole chunk of fat from your brisket. Most of the fat will melt while cooking. However, you might want the bottom of the brisket to be trimmed nicely to create uniformity for even cooking.
Above are some suggestions for picking the best knife for trimming brisket that you could find on the market today. With the help of the right knife, creating a perfect dish of smoked brisket will be way faster and easier. The slices will not only be tastier but also much cleaner. Leave a comment below if there’s anything you might want to know more and Bourbon O will give you the answer you need!