“How long do you cook Hot Pockets in the microwave?” – this is the type of question most people would ask when it comes to preparing Hot Pocket meals. From beef tacos and cheddar cheeseburgers to five cheese pizzas, this American food brand offers various dishes with different flavors to solve your hunger in an instant. Let’s find out the exact time to microwave Hot Pocket products for warm and soothing meals.
Table of Contents
How long do you cook Hot Pockets in the microwave?
It’s safe to microwave the hot pocket products. In fact, it even takes way less time to cook them in the microwave than in an oven. Here are the steps to make hot pockets in the microwave:
Step 1: Remove the hot pocket from the plastic wrap. Then insert it into the crisping sleeve. Place it on a microwave-safe dish.
Step 2: Cook 1 hot pocket at a time in the microwave following the recommended time below:
- 1100-watt microwave: about 2 minutes
- Lower wattage microwave: about 3 minutes
Step 3: Let it sit for around 2 minutes and enjoy.
As you can see, the cooking time depends on the microwave wattage and the number of hot pockets being cooked. If you choose to heat two hot pockets at the same time, then allow them to cook for 2 more minutes. To obtain the best result, you should only heat 1 hot pocket at a time to guarantee a consistent doneness.
Moreover, the microwave time also affects the hot pocket’s crust. If you want it to be soft, cook for 2 minutes and 30 seconds at least. To achieve a golden brown and crispy crust, increase the cooking time to 3 minutes.
Related article: Can You Boil Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles?
Tips for best-tasting hot pockets cooked in microwave
Have you ever burnt the skin on the roof of your mouth or your taste buds while taking a bite into a steaming hot pocket? If you’ve tried this before, then your method of microwaving hot pockets is probably incorrect. To avoid burning your mouth or uneven heat, take advantage of these microwave tips:
- You’re wondering: How long do you cook Hot Pockets in the microwave? Microwave your hot pockets for 75% of the recommended cooking time. Then take them out of the microwave and give them a nice shake while holding both ends. This way, the hot filling and the cold filling will combine, allowing the hot pockets to cook more uniformly.
- Set the right cooking time based on the microwave’s wattage. If the wattage is 700 or 1100, your hot pockets should be microwaved for 2 – 4 minutes. Remember, the cooking time also varies according to the number being cooked.
- The hot pockets are only cooked through if their interior temperature reaches 165-degrees F.
- The remaining hot pockets should always be kept frozen or refrigerated as they’re highly perishable.
- Microwave your hot pockets on glass or ceramic plates or any types that are microwave-safe. We don’t recommend using paper plates as the hot grease can make them burn through. Moreover, if plastic melts and comes in contact with your hot pockets, it can lead to health problems.
You may find interesting: Do Rice Cakes Go Bad? Who Shouldn’t Eat Rice Cakes?
Do Hot Pockets taste better if they’re cooked in the oven?
The essence of hot pockets lies in the convenience, so that anyone can prepare a meal just by cooking them in the microwave for a few minutes. However, some people complain that their hot pockets come out with a frozen core while the exterior is scorching hot.
If you keep making the same mistake when cooking hot pockets in the microwave, it’s time to change your method. Baking hot pockets in the oven always takes more time than microwaving. However, it’ll give you a hot pocket with superior crispness, which is far from what you can achieve with the crisping sleeve. Furthermore, baking allows you to cook more than one hot pocket at once without affecting the food’s quality.
Here’s what you need to do when cooking hot pockets in the oven:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Remove the hot pocket from the plastic wrap and place it on a baking tray. Remember, never use a crisping sleeve when you cook hot pockets in an oven.
Step 2: Bake for 26 – 28 minutes. Cooking time in the oven varies and might need to be adjusted. For food quality and safety, you should bake thoroughly before eating. Check the internal temperature with a thermometer to see if it reaches 165-degrees F.
Step 3: Carefully remove your hot pocket from the oven and serve right away.
Are there any other cooking methods for Hot Pockets?
You can also opt for cooking your hot pocket in a toaster oven. Remove the hot pocket from the plastic wrap and lay it on a baking sheet for the toaster oven. Remember not to insert the hot pocket into the crisping sleeve when you cook it in a toaster oven. The sleeve only helps the dough of the hot pocket become crisp when using the microwave.
Another option is to use an air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 400-degrees F. Place your hot pockets into the air fryer basket and cook them for about 11 – 13 minutes at 370-degrees F. Don’t forget to flip the hot pockets halfway through the cooking time. Let them cool down for at least 5 minutes. Then cut in half and enjoy!
Hot pockets come in a wide variety of tasty flavors and they’re very easy to prepare. However, how long do you cook Hot Pockets in the microwave can be a factor that makes or breaks your hunger. If done correctly, your hot pockets will have even heated fillings and crispy exterior. Thank you for reading through the whole article and feel free to share your thoughts in Bourbon O’s comment section.