How to cook pizza rolls without them exploding is unarguably one of the most asked questions when it comes to making pizza rolls. If you made this dish before, you surely know the annoyance when the rolls burst and the filling comes out. What is the cooking secret that prevents the pizza rolls from exploding? Let’s find out with Bourbon O in the article below.
Table of Contents
- Why do pizza rolls burst while cooking?
- How to cook pizza rolls without them exploding?
- 3 different ways of cooking pizza rolls
- Questions and answers about pizza rolls cooking tips
Why do pizza rolls burst while cooking?
“Why do my pizza rolls explode” is a common question that many people ask when making this dish. When you cook any food, the water molecules and potentially the air trapped inside the food are also heated up. Exploding is a problem particularly related to shaped and sealed foods, and pizza rolls make no exception.
When the water inside the filling starts to boil, bubbles of hot air are created and they eventually explode. As a result, pizza rolls will burst while cooking.
How to cook pizza rolls without them exploding?
This leads to one important question: “How to stop pizza rolls from exploding?”. Here are some of the cooking tips that might work:
- Try microwaving the pizza rolls covered with kitchen rolls. This allows the mess to be contained in case the pizza rolls explode while cooking.
- You can also bake them in an oven using a single layer. Don’t forget to cover the pizza rolls with aluminum foil so that the explosions can be contained. However, this alternative method will make them cook faster and might not be as crisp.
- It may help creating small holes in the rolls using a toothpick or fork in order for the captured air to be released when cooking.
- In case the pizza rolls are still frozen, remember to let them thaw before cooking. Frozen pizza rolls are more prone to bursting when cooking in hot oil. Furthermore, if you cook unthawed pizza rolls, the surface will burn quickly while the inside may remain undercooked.
- Try cooking over higher heat with a shorter time. This way the chances of bursting will be reduced, and you’ll get to eat the pizza rolls sooner.
You may find interesting: How to Defrost Hot Dog Buns Quickly
3 different ways of cooking pizza rolls
If you’re still concerned about: “How to cook pizza rolls without them exploding?”, these 3 different ways of cooking pizza rolls will give you the answer you’re looking for.
Cook pizza rolls in the oven
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 425-degrees F or gas mark 7.
Step 2: On a baking sheet, lay out one layer of parchment paper. Arrange your pizza rolls on top of the paper in a single layer.
Step 2: Bake in the oven until the color changes to golden brown at 400-degrees F. The baking time for 20 rolls is around 10 to 12 minutes and for 40 rolls is 13 to 15 minutes.
Step 3: Let cool slightly for around 2 minutes and enjoy.
Related article: 5 Delicious Pasta Recipes that are Perfect for Acid Reflux Sufferers
Cook pizza rolls in microwave
Step 1: Arrange the pizza rolls on a microwave-safe plate. Then cover them using parchment paper or kitchen towel to contain any spitting.
Step 2: Microwave the pizza rolls for about 2 minutes at full power.
Step 3: Let them stand for 2 more minutes before eating
Cook pizza rolls in air fryer
Step 1: Preheat to 380-degrees F.
Step 2: In the air fryer’s basket, arrange the pizza rolls in a single layer. If you add more layers, they’ll take longer to cook.
Step 3: Keep the temperature and cook the pizza rolls for about 6 minutes. Halfway of the cooking time, turn or shake the pizza rolls for them to cook evenly.
Questions and answers about pizza rolls cooking tips
Are you allowed to flip pizza rolls when cooking in the oven?
If the pizza rolls are baked in the oven, you can flip the rolls when half of the cooking time has passed. This will guarantee the pizza rolls are baked through evenly and become golden brown. Flip the rolls carefully with a spatula and avoid ripping any of them apart.
In fact, it’s not obligatory to flip the pizza rolls while cooking in the oven. However, if you do, it’ll give the rolls a beautiful golden crust on both sides.
How do you make the pizza rolls more crispy in the oven?
To give your pizza rolls a bit more crispness, you can coat them with a thin layer of butter. Flipping the rolls while cooking in the oven should also do the trick.
Can you make pizza rolls using the stove?
If you’re planning to cook this dish on the stove, use Totino’s pizza rolls and nonstick skillet. In the skillet, heat up 1/4 cup of oil over medium heat.
How to eat pizza rolls without them exploding?
The proper way to enjoy a pizza roll is to pop the whole thing in your mouth. If you take small bites, the filling may drop out of the rolls and you won’t be able to enjoy the maximum flavor. But still, let them cool down a bit before eating as the filling might still be too hot.
Hopefully through this article you’ll know how to cook pizza rolls without them exploding. In fact, the key is to make holes in the pizza rolls so the steam can escape while cooking and defrost the pizza rolls after taking them out of the freezer. Happy cooking with this Bourbon O’s recipe!